Marketing and Development Manager
Volunteers of America Mid-States is looking for a Marketing and Development Manager, who will be responsible for providing a range of creative and innovative support to both the Communications and Fund Development teams of Volunteers of America.
JOB DESCRIPTIONVolunteers of America Mid-States (VOA) is a non-profit organization spanning four states that creates positive change in the lives of individuals and communities through a ministry of service. We confront our region’s biggest issues and serve more than 20,000 clients per year through 40 distinct programs. To continue to change the lives of people we serve, we need someone to help us coordinate some of our organization’s essential communications functions.
We provide housing for families, veterans, and low-income seniors. We provide substance use disorder recovery services for men and women and our Freedom House program is a national model for pregnant and parenting women overcoming substance use disorder. We provide care and support for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. We provide healing and accountability that brings people together with restorative justice. We provide free, convenient and confidential HIV testing and education as well as syringe exchange services.
When Volunteers of America was founded in 1896, "volunteer" referred to anyone who served others as a vocation through a commitment to a mission. Today, we are still staffed by paid, mission-driven professionals working to provide hope and build thriving communities. We’re searching for people to join our mission.
As a Marketing and Development Manager, you will be responsible for providing a range of creative and innovative support to both the Communications and Fund Development teams of Volunteers of America. Your goal will be to help create inspirational and engaging content that supports our marketing, media outreach, government relations and fund development activities. Your success will raise awareness of VOA’s work and mission and encourage new, targeted financial commitments that will help expand and strengthen our services – helping thousands of the most vulnerable community members.
- Weekly Pay: Get paid for your hard work every Friday
- Generous PTO: Each week, accrue both vacation time and sick time. Once you’ve been here a year, we add a few personal days as well.
- Location: Make your commute a breeze and get here quickly thanks to our highly accessible central location in downtown Louisville. Bonus: we’re steps away from dozens of delicious local restaurants and coffee shops (though Heine Brothers supports our mission and our office with free coffee).
- Wellness: We’re serious about wellness at VOA. From staff wellness days (massages, apple orchard outings, holiday potlucks) to our employee wellness scholarship and team retreats, we practice what we preach and prioritize employee health and well-being.
- Room to grow: We’re an organization of nearly 600 dedicated staff. With a wide variety of programs and departments, we have numerous opportunities for professional development. We have a track record of promoting from within and investing in our staff to give them the resources they need to grow.
We are seeking dedicated and qualified individuals. We consider the following skills and experience essential:
- Education: A Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or a related field
- Experience: At least one year in internal or external communications, fund development, marketing is preferred. Experience on behalf of a non-profit or working in an environment dependent on fund-raising is preferred.
- Skills: This position requires a passion for innovation and creative thinking, excellent writing and editing skills, strong organizational skills and an ability to meet deadlines. A willingness to take on and manage multiple, diverse tasks and excellent interpersonal relations skills are essential.
- Characteristics: We empower all staff to take charge, fix what’s broken, and reap the benefits of your efforts by honing in on specific objectives. Success in this role requires an ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks with a sense of urgency, be assertive but collaborative when driving projects, be a flexible, jack of all trades.
- Character: We hire, fire, and promote based on our five core values of commitment, compassion, diversity, justice, and integrity. These values run through our entire culture so it’s important to us that you truly believe in these values too.
- Bonus Points: Prior experience with Adobe design applications, social media applications, and Microsoft Office suited is preferred as well as prior experience in web content management.
As a part of VOA’s Communication and Development teams, you’ll work closely with the senior leadership in the External Relations Department on a range of mission-driven goals. Throughout your journey raising awareness of VOA’s work and mission, you’ll be responsible for:
- Project management for communications, marketing and fund development.
- Supporting Senior Content Manager and Director of Communications & Marketing on creating written content, including speeches, talking points, marketing and briefing materials.
- Manage Positive Change Society (multiyear & major donor) communication calendar, outreach strategy and content creation.
- Work closely with Communications Department on production of printed and digital collateral materials, including researching, writing and editing.
- Work closely with Fund Development team in creation of new outreach materials, including printed and digital appeals.
If this role sounds like a great fit, please reach out with a resume and a cover letter that answers the following questions:
1. Why do you want this role?
2. Tell us about a time when you received difficult feedback and how you responded to it?
3. Which one of our core values speaks most personally to you?
Email Resume: ReginaldM@voamid.org